Job Announcement: CLI Executive Director
Organization: The Center for Legal Inclusiveness (CLI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to advancing diversity in the legal profession by actively educating and supporting private and public sector legal organizations in their own individual campaigns to create cultures of inclusion. The Denver-based organization provides valuable resources to help legal employers retain and advance diverse and female attorneys. Many of CLI's innovative programs and initiatives are national models. CLI’s members include law firms, corporate and government law departments, and other professional legal organizations.
Position: CLI seeks a dynamic, experienced leader committed to diversity and inclusiveness in the legal profession to serve as its Executive Director. This individual will be responsible for CLI’s day-to-day administration, providing diversity and inclusiveness presentations to CLI members and the public, and driving future programing for the nonprofit. The Executive Director is appointed by and accountable to CLI’s Board of Directors.
Qualifications: 1) J.D., MSLA, MBA or a Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 7 years of experience working in the legal profession and 2) established relationships/contacts with the legal profession, particularly in Denver, Colorado. These qualifications are essential because nurturing CLI member relationships is a primary focus for this position.
- Passion for the mission of the non-profit
- Previous experience developing and presenting diversity and inclusiveness training or strategy
- Experience as a practicing attorney and/or other legal professional
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills and proven ability to foster critical relationships with an array of people, particularly legal organization leadership
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and engage in strategic planning
- Strong organizational skills and experience executing multiple, high-priority tasks
- Experience motivating and collaborating with volunteers
- Nonprofit management experience including business operations, fundraising, board/staff management
- Previous experience with program planning, evaluation, resource allocation and fiscal management/budgeting
- Marketing, communications and public relations experience including familiarity with content management systems (HTML not required), Constant Contact, and Microsoft Publisher (or other design software)
- Implement new strategic plan developed for CLI by nonprofit consulting firm and Board, as well as continuing effort to define short and long-term strategy to further CLI’s mission and serve its members
- Develop additional expertise in diversity and inclusiveness in order to provide deeper thought leadership to further the nonprofit’s mission to increase the retention and advancement of underrepresented groups within the legal profession
- Represent the nonprofit at events
- Maintain and cultivate new partnerships with legal organizations that are not CLI members
- Manage the administration of the nonprofit such as recruiting and managing staff; ensuring compliance with federal, state and local regulations
- Oversee accounting and manage budget with sound financial practices
- Execute fundraising and new business development initiatives
Board Engagement and Development
- Ensure the Board is kept abreast of organization operations and important factors influencing it; prepare written reports for Board meetings
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Board members; assist and support the Strategic Planning and Executive Committees in developing a plan for increasing board engagement
- Develop and effectively deliver training on diversity and inclusiveness topics to CLI members and the public
- Create and implement an action plan for CLI’s retention initiatives and educational programming such as the Legal Inclusiveness & Diversity Summit, CLEs, GC/MP Roundtable, Inclusiveness Networks, etc.
- Work with the chairs of the CLI Education, Marketing and Fundraising Committees, as well as the Retention Working Group and volunteers to execute programs and products
- Update CLI’s Inclusiveness Manual to include new research and information about diversity and inclusiveness, and write case study updates for Inclusiveness Network members
Marketing and Communication
- Develop strategy for marketing CLI’s products and initiatives in traditional and new technology including social media
- Write content for newsletters, websites, articles for legal/diversity and inclusiveness periodicals
- Respond to press inquiries
Compensation: This is a full-time, exempt position. Participation in occasional evening/weekend events is required. Compensation package totals $60,000-$75,000, including employer’s portion of benefits, based on candidate’s experience. There is significant vacation time. Candidates must be willing to live in the metro Denver area, and relocation costs are not included.
Application Materials & Deadline: Candidates must email a cover letter, resume, and a list of references by April 11, 2013 to Kenzo Kawanabe, CLI Board Member and Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “CLI ED Application” in the subject line of your e-mail. Candidates must be available for interviews April 17-30, 2013. CLI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from women and diverse candidates.